Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Phases of Mothering


I'm pleased to welcome Cheryl Dickow to you today on "Catholic Moms Talk." Cheryl Dickow is the president of Bezalel Books, a Catholic publishing company whose goal is to provide excellent literature for Catholic parishes, homes and classrooms. Cheryl holds a Masters Degree in Education and is passionate about sharing the truth of the faith with readers of all ages. She co-authored and published the best-selling All Things Girl books and co-hosted the EWTN television series based upon those books. A recent addition to that genre for tween and teen girls is You Go, Girl!

Cheryl’s own work also includes the non-fiction book Our Jewish Roots: A Catholic Woman’s Guide to Fulfillment Today by Connecting with Her Past and the fiction book Elizabeth: A Holy Land Pilgrimage. She has written for many publications and websites and has been a guest on numerous radio programs where she shares her passion for women from the Old and New Testament and how their lives reveal the truth of women’s lives today. All these books and more are available at www.BezalelBooks.com.

Cheryl lives in the beautiful state of Michigan with her husband and three sons. Cheryl can be contacted at Cheryl@BezalelBooks.com for questions about her publishing company or to invite her to speak at your event.

Today, Cheryl shares how the Catechism journeys with her as a Catholic mom...

Just as our children go through phases in their lives, we, too, experience phases of mothering. We also, as Catholic women, experience spiritual phases as well.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church became my “go to” resource very early in my personal journey and continues to be so to this very day.

I remember well discerning the sort of education I would choose for my children and seeking advice and counsel within the pages of the Catechism. Then there were the times where I felt overwhelmed by my responsibilities as a mother and sought refuge in the Catechism as I learned about sacramental grace and God’s love and mercy. As I pursued my call to be a praying mother, the Catechism quickly became my resource in discovering the vast and rich prayer life that a Catholic woman and mother can enjoy. I particularly loved learning about the different forms of prayer as found in the pages of the Catechism. 

My children are now young men and I still to turn the Catechism. As I pulled the Catechism off the shelf today I found pages tagged that had helped me explain to others the Catholic beliefs on abortion. I am still mothering my grown sons but in a different way: I now use the Catechism to defend the faith of my children against a world hostile to our beliefs.

~Cheryl Dickow, President, Bezalel Books and author of the inspirational fiction book Elizabeth: A Holy Land Pilgrimage and the non-fiction book Wrapped Up: God’s Ten Gifts for Women

2 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I've heard so much about you. Glad to make your acquaintance here. :) Isn't the Catechism a gem? It has helped me explain different teachings so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roxanne,

    I agree! The Catechism is a real gem!

    As are you for taking the time to post a comment:-)

    Thank you!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete